HemingwayDesign are seeking an ambitious and skilled creative web developer to join our multi-disciplinary design team. Our work takes us across visual design, interiors, architecture, place making and regeneration, exhibitions, events, products and fashion – and we do it all with a community-focused, social and ethical conscience. We are a small(ish) team who work hard, share values, laugh a lot and listen to great music in the office.
Your role here will take full technical leadership for various digital development projects across the organisation and will involve working with our graphic design team to design, build and develop websites from scratch.
You will be responsible for creating visually appealing, easy to use, responsive sites in collaboration with in-house graphic designers. Your role could also include website maintenance, developing layouts with designers, producing HTML email templates, creating digital tools, thorough technical testing and integrating data, databases and third-party apps.
A bit about us:
We have a philosophy that ‘design is about improving the things that matter in life’ and we apply this to every project that we work on. We are lucky enough to be in a position where we can be selective about the projects that we bid for – if it doesn’t align with our values then we don’t go for it, it’s as simple as that, and we consider social purpose and sustainability at every stage of a job, from our commitment to co-design to our passion for upcycled materials.
This is an initial 12 month fixed-term contact with immediate start.
Skills and experience required:
• Several years of industry experience in web development in a creative setting is preferred but we prioritise talent and personality over experience
• Great working knowledge of both front and back end technology, responsive web design, HTML and CSS
• You’ll understand both front- and back-end technology, and ideally have some understanding of maintaining servers and managing deployment and testing across multiple platforms / browsers
• A strong portfolio with proven experience of developing cutting edge, fully bespoke sites
• An eye for contemporary design, colour, composition and photography
You should have experience of working with non-technical teams, helping them to make sensible, sustainable decisions and communicating complex challenges in simple language.
• A genuine enthusiasm for the arts, travel, lifestyle and awareness of current trends in UI, UX, graphic and digital design
• Ability to be versatile, work autonomously and manage multiple work streams and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Highly creative and full of bright ideas
• Ability to build good relationships internally and externally
• Active interest in and knowledge of current digital, design, social and cultural trends
• Rigorous attention to detail, high standards and pride in your work
• Strong communication skills with fluent spoken and written English
• An interest in and passion for our shared values of sustainability, social responsibility and using design to improve lives
Salary and benefits:
How to apply:
Interested in applying for this position? Don’t just send us a CV, but show us what you can bring to the HemingwayDesign posse.
What is required:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Work With Us’ in the subject field.
Application deadline: 6th December 2020
No telephone calls or agencies please.