Charity Super.Mkt is a concept for social and environmental good, where people can shop the best of charity retail all in one place. A mix of household names and local favourites, brought together as a purposeful collective.
In January 2023, after two years of market style pop-ups at The Classic Car Boot Sale, Charity Super.Mkt moved things up a gear, opening the project’s first bricks-and-mortar residency at Brent Cross Shopping Centre for a planned 31 day stint. The pop-up gave people the opportunity to shop the very best of charity retail, all under one roof, for the first time in the UK. Smashing the projected turnover for the month on day 4, the pop-up was nothing short of a huge success.
From being the third most read article on the BBC website the weekend we opened, to being broadcast overseas in Japan, and going viral on Tik Tok before doors even opened, the pop-up was extended for an extra two weeks due to it’s popularity with shoppers.
Headed up by HemingwayDesign co-founder, Wayne Hemingway, and Maria Chenoweth, CEO of the sustainable clothing charity, TRAID, the team have worked with over 40 charities to date, including Shleter, Age UK and Barnardo’s, on their mission to take charity fashion to the next level!
Charity retail is the kindest, most circular, sustainable retailer on the British high street and this project only proved it’s popularity. The stats speak for themselves…
• 40,000 Items were sold at the 6-week pop-up, saving 11.36 tonnes of textiles from landfill, 102.32 tonnes of Co2 and 18,191.54 cubic metres of water.
• A total of £374,454.44 was raised for the 10 retailing charities.
• Brent Cross Shopping Centre experienced a 7% uplift in footfall from the day Charity Super.Mkt opened.
This money went on to fund…
• 96 days of Cancer Research nurses to support life saving care.
• 1,000 webchat housing advice calls from the team at Shelter.
• 1,000 hours of specialist nursing care from Havens Hospices nurses for a patient in their own home at the end of their life.
From North London, to Reading, a couple trips to Manchester and Glasgow and Bristol all ticked off, where is next on the Charity Super.Mkt UK tour? Follow Charity Super.Mkt on Instagram to stay up to date.